Which small luxury SUV is right for you, the 2023 Buick Envision or the Buick Encore GX? It’s true that these models have many features in common, but each appeals to a slightly different kind of driver! Read our buying guide to see exactly what we mean.
- Compared to the Envision (starting at $33,400 ), the subcompact Encore GX (starting at $25,900) can help you save money on a luxury SUV.
- The compact Envision is a little roomier than the subcompact Encore GX, though both models are handsomely equipped with comfort and convenience features.
- The Envision gives you a more powerful performance, but the Encore GX provides higher EPA ratings.
- Both Buicks earned stellar crash-test scores and come standard with a range of impressive safety aids.
The compact 2023 Envision (starting at $33,400) is slightly more expensive than the subcompact 2023 Encore GX (starting at $25,900). The Encore GX not only comes with a lower price, but it also helps you save at the pump, earning up to 30 mpg combined (29 city/32 highway) to the Envision’s 26 mpg combined (23 city/31 highway). On the other hand, the Envision is the better option if you crave the extra power and passenger space that comes with its heftier price tag.
Interior Space & Comfort
Compared with the smaller Encore GX, the Envision is wider, which translates to more shoulder and hip space inside the cabin, in both rows of seating. The Envision also gives you a slightly bigger cargo hold, with 25.2 cubic feet to the Encore GX’s 23.5 cubic feet.
On the other hand, both Buicks treat you to heaps of interior luxury. Each comes standard with features you’ll love, like cloth and faux-leather upholstery and smartphone-friendly infotainment (including wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto). The Envision’s standard lineup is perhaps a little more luxurious, thanks to its power-adjustable driver’s seat. However, both Buicks are available with stylish upgrades, including a head-up display, Bose premium sound system, and a sunroof (or a panoramic sunroof in the Envision’s case).
If you crave a sportier drive, the 2023 Buick Envision is the small crossover for you. Each Envision trim models features the same turbocharged engine. And all-wheel drive is available to improve performance on the trail. The Envision can also tow a small watercraft, such as a Jet Ski, with max tow ratings of up to 1,500 pounds.
- Turbo four-cylinder engine (228 horsepower, 258 lb-ft of torque)
- Nine-speed automatic
- Standard front-wheel drive or optional all-wheel drive
- Up to 26 mpg combined (23 city/31 highway)
- 1,500 lbs max towing
The Encore GX actually offers your choice of two turbocharged engines, depending on which trim model you select. Only the engine upgrade, the turbo 1.3-liter engine, is available with all-wheel drive. The Encore GX can also tow a small trailer, though with a 1,000-pound max tow rating, it’s not quite as strong as the Envision. On the other hand, the Encore GX delivers greater efficiency!
- Standard turbo 1.2L three-cylinder engine (137 hp, 162 lb-ft) with continuously variable transmission and front-wheel drive
- Optional turbo 1.3L three-cylinder engine (155 hp, 174 lb-ft) with nine-speed automatic and front-wheel drive or optional all-wheel drive
- Up to 30 mpg combined (29 city/32 highway)
- 1,000 lbs max towing
Both the 2023 Buick Envision and the Buick Encore GX earned perfect five-star ratings in government crash tests. And that makes either model a great means of family transportation!
Although both Buicks offer similar safety aids, the Envision comes standard with more of them. For example, while both models come standard with forward collision mitigation and lane keeping assistance, only the Envision includes blind-spot monitoring and a safety alert seat in the standard lineup. However, blind-spot monitoring is optional for the Encore, and adaptive cruise control is optional for either Buick.
Your New Buick SUV
So, which Buick is right for you? The 2023 Buick Envision is roomier and more handsomely equipped than the Encore, and it even gives you a sportier drive. With the 2023 Buick Encore, you get a great deal on a stylish model, plus improved fuel economy.